Never Forget Who You Are

I read this most interesting quote this morning while I was doing my routine social media browsing.  "Can you remember who you were, before the world told you who you should be".  Since coming into my being of a bald woman, this is more relevant.  Ever since we were children we are shown images and are led to a certain way that is to become what is expected of us.  Different than what we are taught at home about morals and behaviour; the rights and wrongs of law and how to be a positive contributor in our world.  Our parents tell us growing up that we can be anything we want to be, the skies the limit.  Its only when we get older and enter into the school system and with it become a part of the society norm that for most of us we lose that whimsical "skies the limit" thought.  We now follow the pact.  We alter our appearance to fit in, we change our thought processes and make choices that follow everyone else's.  We become another sheep in the pact of white sheep.  There is still a few of us that continue to strike out individually and those are look upon as rebels and naw sayers.  Curious to look upon, frightful to follow and in awed by their courage.
 
Then every once in a while something happens in our lives that gives us the chance to re-embrace that childhood whimsy that we once held.  Or even to find a new path, one that we have the chance to take the courage to strike out on our own.  For me that was the day that I shaved my head.  All of sudden there I was, not looking anything like what I was expected to look like.  And I had the choice.... find a way to fit in again or make my own look.  I choose the latter.  No longer to be a pact follower but to lead out in my own direction, and possibly to lead a new way of thinking for others.






Its important to remember who we once were, before we were told to fit in.  Find that person, and have the courage to follow your own path.

No comments:

Post a Comment